spacklefritz

Spackle-the-Fritz on Books

Because really, who doesn't go on a fritz for books?

The Immortal Rules - Julie Kagawa The world Kagawa builds is a gritty one, and we see and find out what it’s like for these unregistereds (humans on the fringes of society who have decided not to make themselves property of the vampires) We see how hard it is for them to live. Every day is a literal fight for survival and it is here we meet the main character, Allison Sekemoto.

At the beginning of the book we meet someone who is terribly cynical and, though this is not the right word, cold, but then again she has grown up in this world where being soft hearted would more than likely get you killed. She is also one of the few unregistereds who can read. This also helps contribute to her hatred and cynicisms to the situations that the humans are in. They can better themselves and knowledge is power.

One day she and the gang she is a part of gets ambushed, and in a bid that surprises even herself, she ends up throwing herself into harm’s way to save a fellow crew member. A series of unfortunate events later and Sekemoto gets turned into the very thing she despises.
Kanin, the vampire who turned her is, freakin’ epic. XD sorry I couldn’t help myself, but really I pretty much love him, he’s one of those stoic, wise characters. Of course he has a history that haunts him to this day. But wow, the man can fight. And I love the interaction between him and Allison. There are times where he comes across as an exasperated family member when dealing with Allie.

Allie, after she turned, seemed to have thawed out a bit. Things she would’ve found her old self sneering at, telling her they had no time for this or the resources, the vampire Allie willingly does. It’s a kind of irony in that after dying does she start to become human.
And now for Zeke *waggles eyebrows* lol. Aah what can I say about Zeke? He’s a character that feels. He’s not cold or stoic or any other thing to that effect. He’s not a jerk. He’s just Zeke. Oh and he hates Vampires. Kinda poses a problem between him and Allie, don’t you think?
Heh, well overall this book was amazing. I seriously loved it, and I think I may just become a die-hard fan of Julie Kagawa. The plot has action…hello fight off mindless rabids? Romance *snickers* Yes I do love my romance, and that gritty feel that a post – apocalyptic world has.

Memorable quotes

What kind of vampire killed four people, had a cryptic conversation with a street rat, thanked the street rat for talking with him, and then walked off?

How was I going to feed with ol’ Crazy-eyes watching my every move? Something told me Jeb wasn’t the understanding type. If he ever discovered what I was, I could see torches and angry mobs and stakings in my future.

“The mighty hunter,” I quipped as we snuck out the back door, escaping into the yard. “He can take down vicious rabids and rampaging boars, but one old lady can make him
flee in terror.”

I was a vampire. Nothing would change that. But I didn’t have to be a monster.

This review can also be found at musingsandbooksandmore.blogspot.com