spacklefritz

Spackle-the-Fritz on Books

Because really, who doesn't go on a fritz for books?

The Lazarus Machine - Paul Crilley 3.5 stars

Well this was a fun read, not exactly a light read, but definitely a fun read indeed.

I've never read any of Mr. Crilley's books before, but the world that he created in The Lazarus Machine is very rich, and if you're looking for a steampunk book that definitely shows the steampunkness (not a word I know) then this book is good bet. You can see the use of these unique machines in everyday life. There are also some models which have a certain "feature" which ties up into the story.

The plot was tight, and I think well paced. There weren't any parts where it seemed to drag. I don't really want to say much else, in the event that I reveal something that ought not to be. I must say I really do like this web that Mr. Crilley has spun.

The characters were fun, they had their own quirks. There was Barnaby, the father that had a taste for flair, logical and rational Sebastian Tweed but still naive in some ways, Octavia Nightingale who really I think was a quite strong character, in terms of how she kept her hope for so long, Carter and Jenny, such a lively couple XD, and then there was Stepp the programming genius. The banter throughout was witty and fun. I'm not sure whose I like more, Carter and Jenny or Octavia and Tweed.

That said there was something that, although this book scored high on the major points, was missing. I didn't quite feel myself, really pulled in until midway. (Although, the banter did draw a chuckle out of me a couple of times), but after that things seemed to have drawn me in, so in my mind this added up to the higher end of the 3 star rating, hence the round up.

The book end is pretty satisfying. It should be noted however, that there are still some more things left to be resolved, though it is nothing major to warrant a cliffhanger.

This review can also be found at musingsandbooksandmore.blogspot.com